Tomato Vegetable Sauce
The versatility of this tomato sauce is phenomenal. You can use it as the base of any tomato based dish like curry, ratatouille, bolognese sauce or as a pizza or bruschetta topping. You can add whatever vegetables you like, the ones in the recipe are my favourites but just use what you have to hand. It’s a low carb, low GI sauce and fits in well with so many different diets.
Simply leave the sauce chunky or blitz with a cheap hand blender (like this one here) for something that may even fool children who “don’t like vegetables”. Just toss it through some pasta, add some protein like smoked tofu pieces or seitan, and some fresh herbs. Or make a delicious curry by adding a spoonful of garam masala and grated ginger and serving with steamed basmati and chopped coriander. See our Tofu Molee recipe here for an in-depth curry with this sauce and a few extras added.
Tomato Vegetable Sauce Recipe
I don’t tend to freeze this recipe because it’s just so quick to make and we get through it so quickly, but you can if you like. Just pop it into reusable freezer bags (be warned, it stains!) You can make a little extra and put it in the fridge in a jar once cooled, then use that the next day for mini pizzas or a quick lunchtime curry
Tomato Vegetable Sauce
One of the most versatile recipe bases around, low carb, vegan and gluten-free
- olive oil (optional)
- seasoning (optional)
- onion (optional)
- peppers (optional)
- aubergine (optional)
- carrot (optional)
- courgette (optional)
- mushrooms (optional)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic (optional)
- tablespoon tomato purée
- tin chopped tomatoes or passata
- Step 1 1. Chop all of your vegetables into fairly small pieces, then heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan
- Step 2 2. Add the vegetables and fry until starting to go golden. If you’re not using oil then keep a glass full of water next to your cooker and add a little at a time to stop them sticking
- Step 3 3. Add the chopped garlic and tomato purée to the pan and cook until the oil starts to separate
- Step 4 4. Add the chopped tomatoes or passata and cook through until hot. Simmer until the veggies are fully cooked then transfer to a bowl
- Step 5 5. Use the stick blender to blend the sauce to the consistency you need. Don’t blend in the pan or the heat can warp the blender and overheat the motor. When it’s all blitzed up you can transfer it back to the saucepan
Please note, this blog contains affiliate links. For more information, see our affiliate policy here.